This past week I sent Chad (Marine Science Center) an email reintroducing myself after meeting him at an Artificial Reef Seminar earlier this year. I am going to explore the possibility of recreating a experiment that was conducted at Oregon State by Mark A. Hixon. Mark has a very interesting youtube video where he shares about the benefits of coral combating cancer. The experiment was about what effect does artificial reefs have on natural reefs in regards to the number of species. One of the theories I learned last semester is that when placing an artificial reef such as a ship or concrete debris it needs to be done so it does not negatively influence species of an already existing reef. We do not want just to move species from one location to another. We want to increase the species.I am including the link which should take you to Oregon State study. Within the report it has a graph. My concern is the short duration of the semester. Normally studies are conducted over years not months. My questions that I am researching is the amount of salinity and water tempurature needed.
http://hixon.science.oregonstate.edu/files/hixon/publications/042%20-%20Carr%20&%20Hixon%2097%20Fisheries.pdf
![]() |

Richard--could you please be a little more clear on what your scientific question is and how you are going to go about answering that question?
ReplyDeleteI think this is so interesting! Definitely makes you think about how one thing really does affect another and how we should learn to make that a positive affect!
ReplyDelete