![]() |
| Emerita talpoida |
For my project, I've been doing some research on Sand Fleas. At least, I've always called them Sand Fleas. It turns out that they're really called Mole Crabs. The scientific name for them is Emerita talpoida. Mole Crabs are harmless crabs that burrow in the sand and can be up to an inch in length. They come up to the beach in the warmer months of the year. Once it gets cooler our they return to deeper waters. Since it's still quite warm here in Florida I should be able to find a decent number of these little guys. I've already established that I will need a sand flea rake to collect and count them. I'll also need something to collect sand in so I can sieve it and collect data on the sediment size. When we did the dune surveying in geography, we used ziploc bags to store sediment samples. That seems like a cheap and efficient way to transport sand and would probably work for me.

This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI friend sent me this picture once and now I think of it whenever I see a sand flea! Haha! I hope the link works!
ReplyDeletehttp://fc05.deviantart.net/fs17/f/2007/188/b/4/mole_crabs_by_WarpedOrbit.jpg
Please remember to bold terms when first used and then explain what they are. For example your latin word for mole crab. Also--the Genus name is capitalized the species name is not! Otherwise--can I borrow your hard-working little helpers :-)
ReplyDeleteGreat job!!