IMES

IMES

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Grace-Project

I have found a new approach for my lion fish project where I do not have to be SCUBA certified to grab the amazing fish. I just have to have someone get it for me.... I plan on doing a sort of dissection on the lion fish head in order to take out its otoliths and examine them to determine the age of the lionfish in the area as well as have pictures taken of the sizes of lion fish. This will allow me the knowledge of not only the age of the lion fish, but perhaps where they came from whether they escaped from fish tanks in the chaos of hurricanes a few years back or another cause.


 
No spoilers for how I'm going to do it. You will all simply have to wait for the final unveiling of my project. (:

3 comments:

  1. This sounds really interesting, Grace! I would love to watch the dissection process to see how it's done. Good luck with this and watch out for those venomous spines of the Lionfish! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a neat project and cant wait to see how you go about collecting the lionfish. Also, from what i've heard, the main source of this invasion was from ship ballasts. (I didnt know if youve read that anywhere yet although im sure you have...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new approach seems to be very similar to my project about fish otoliths. I am excited to see where you go with this. Do you plan on having your lionfish collected all from one specific area?

    ReplyDelete