IMES

IMES

Monday, September 9, 2019

Jessica (CUR): Let me re-introduce myself...

Me holding juvenile green sea turtle
Hey everyone! My name is Jessica Jacono. I am 36 years old and I absolutely love living in Florida! I grew up in the Adirondack State Park, and a very small town called Westport, in upstate NY. I have had family in Edgewater for decades, and knew this was where I wanted to live. I relocated to the Edgewater/NSB area about 10 years ago.

Four years ago, I decided that it was time for me to get a degree. At first, I was headed the business route. I thought I had the head for it. I was wrong, but I realized it early. I decided I needed to follow my heart. My passion. The Ocean and all it holds has always had my love, but turtles are my passion 💖




Green sea turtle (Chelonia mydas)
I found the Sea Turtle Conservancy, based in Gainesville, and from there I spiraled into research. What do I need to do to work for them in the future? Which elective classes will help me the most? Is there a particular university that has programs designed for exactly what I want? I had all of my questions answered, plus some! They actually put me in touch with Dr. Kate Mansfield! Dr. Mansfield is an associate professor and the lab director for the MTRG, Marine Turtle Research Group, at UCF. 


Taping off the research site in New Smyrna Beach
This has lead me to where I am today! My second semester of Oceanography. Continuing my independent research project (Stay tuned for more details!).
Temperature Logger in sand
Trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can before I continue on my journey forward, hopefully to UCF and getting to work with Dr. Mansfield and then on to the Sea Turtle Conservancy.

1 comment:

  1. ahhh...such a nice research site--until....it wasn't!Nice blog, too!

    ReplyDelete