IMES

IMES

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Chris Browne, UR - Unfit for Recreation

Unfit for Recreation - Canal Street
Q:  Janice sec. 50: Hi Chris. Yucky stuff here! I took Dr. Horikami's class a while back and I thought I remembered that fecal chloroform was identified by the presence of E. Coli on the plates (neon green color) while chloroform (all animal gut content which includes fecal/e. coli) was the way we identified all gut contents on the plate and not just those associated with fecal (poop). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

A:  My results showed no specific E. coli, yet, I have confirmed that the bacteria counted was fecal coliforms, that are specifically from gut tracks, lactose or animal protein break downers. 

Q:  Phaleisa
Section01
I have seen people fishing on Reed canal and Tuscawilla, my question is that are their any signs poster to let the public know that the canal/pond is contaminated, and is the fish safe for human consumption?

A:  Tuscawilla may end up being within a decent range of acceptable bacteria, I am getting more specific data on that soon. However, there seems to be an abundance of nutrients, which can be a sign of pending problems to come. Look to Emily Reyes for more info on Tuscawilla Park as well. Check back next week for more info on wildlife/bacteria levels.

The Lab at IMES, DSC
     Formulas have been doubled checked, numbers have been run. Field notebook is in use. This week I can give some numerical values. I will attempt to explain them, but will be adding some info as I refine it, or get more reserch specific.


     Technically I had TNTC results. So, as directed by Dr. Horikami, I broke down the filter into quarters and attempted to get specific readings. All results will post as a greater then number for that reason. Plus this is the way the EPA delivers results. Samples were based on 100mL, the same volume of sample that computed evenly into the formula, supplying us with the actual number of CFUs(Colony Forming Units).

     The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) states that anything over >800 CFUs, is considered to be unsuitable for recreational use. These are my findings, while next week I'll focus on what they mean for the fishing and shell fishing of the area. A reminder that fecal coliforms are a present and natural occurrence in the environment.
UNFIT:                  >800 CFUs, per 100mL
Canal Street:          >1,125 CFUs , per 100mL
Tuscawilla Park:    >260 CFUs, per 100mL.

No comments:

Post a Comment