Independent Research Projects Conducted by Undergraduate Researchers (UR) and Continuing Undergraduate Researchers (CUR) Enrolled in the Accelerated OCE1001, OCE2013 and OCE3014 Labs at Daytona State College
IMES
Friday, March 27, 2020
Whitney M. Minnich(UR) Producing more Oxygen than trees.
Amazing usage of images and supplying a map really help me make a connection for slide #3 where you mentioned splitting it up between two days. Question 1) I see you mentioned that you need to analyze within 24 hours, why is that? Will the Phytoplankton die that quickly?
The methods and materials were beautifully handled, and I agree that the map and images in slide 3 are a really nice touch. The clustered bar graph is also a good choice, though the pie charts raise a couple interesting questions: how might the proportion of phytoplankton classes impact the study? Is one more prone to toxicity or abundance issues than another?
Hi Whitney, When I first scrolled through your presentation, I thought - wow! Great use of imagery. Very aesthetically pleasing! I think you made it clear that you've done your research on this topic by your what is known and unknown. I am a little confused on how the pie charts play into the research question. I think if this presentation were being presented in person, it may be easier to understand! Are the pie charts used to compare two types of plankton at two different locations? Or the same type of plankton at two different locations?
I'll start off by saying the map was a wonderful touch! I love being able to see an arial view of locations being tested so that you can really understand where they are and the distances between locations. Your slides were very clear and concise. Both your knowns and unkowns, and your materials and methods were easy to distinguish. I also have a question about the pie charts, are there two classes of phytoplankton and the seven species fall under those two classes? I think a bar graph was a good choice to use as well, it makes comparing all of the species in each location very easy.
Amazing usage of images and supplying a map really help me make a connection for slide #3 where you mentioned splitting it up between two days.
ReplyDeleteQuestion 1) I see you mentioned that you need to analyze within 24 hours, why is that? Will the Phytoplankton die that quickly?
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThe methods and materials were beautifully handled, and I agree that the map and images in slide 3 are a really nice touch. The clustered bar graph is also a good choice, though the pie charts raise a couple interesting questions: how might the proportion of phytoplankton classes impact the study? Is one more prone to toxicity or abundance issues than another?
ReplyDeleteHi Whitney,
ReplyDeleteWhen I first scrolled through your presentation, I thought - wow! Great use of imagery. Very aesthetically pleasing! I think you made it clear that you've done your research on this topic by your what is known and unknown. I am a little confused on how the pie charts play into the research question. I think if this presentation were being presented in person, it may be easier to understand! Are the pie charts used to compare two types of plankton at two different locations? Or the same type of plankton at two different locations?
I'll start off by saying the map was a wonderful touch! I love being able to see an arial view of locations being tested so that you can really understand where they are and the distances between locations. Your slides were very clear and concise. Both your knowns and unkowns, and your materials and methods were easy to distinguish. I also have a question about the pie charts, are there two classes of phytoplankton and the seven species fall under those two classes? I think a bar graph was a good choice to use as well, it makes comparing all of the species in each location very easy.
ReplyDelete