Hello all,
What a great class on Friday! I definitely learned a ton and I really enjoyed it as well. We started out class with a guest speaker that came in to talk about sharks (my favorite)!! She had a ton of information on the hammerhead shark which was so interesting because I believe that not too many people know a whole lot about that species. I also really enjoyed how enthusiastic she was about everything she talked about, you can tell that she is in the right field. One thing that she said that I found to be very interesting was that hammerheads would use their hammers to hit their prey and how they quickly they can move in the water.
For the second part of class, we grabbed our water samples we had collected and we started doing some lab work. I learned how to use multiple new instruments such as, the Hach 2100N Turbidimetr, an Ohaus Balance Scale, a Fisher Science Oven, a Fisher Scientific Maxima Dry Vacuum Pump, and a Whitman Glass Microfiber Filter. We each went to each station and wrote down our data. All tools were calibrated before use.
The Graph below shows all of the classes data from their water samples and it shows a positive correlation between Turbidity and TSS. I thought a scatter plot was most appropriate for the data.
I'm super excited for Fridays class at Ponce Inlet and look forward to learning a lot more about sharks.
![]() |

No comments:
Post a Comment