IMES

IMES

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Mike Salisbury UR - Hello Goodbye

How do anthropogenic disturbances alter bird species number and diversity on Volusia County beaches? 

During my project I recorded the following:

Bird Types: Gulls and terns, shorebirds, wading birds, misc. birds (pelicans, ospreys, etc.)

Bird disturbances: Cars, bikes, adults, children, motor vehicles, fishermen, feeding

Disturbance = If the bird shows signs of distress or moves approximately 3 ft. or more because of human interference.  

I made 10 minute observations at three sites:

          A.      North of 27th Ave. – Beach driving
          B.      South of 27th Ave. – No beach driving, but usually a crowded beach
          C.      30th Ave. –No beach driving, less people (not a very popular location due to lack of street parking)


The locations
My trusty field notebook 
Bird identification pamphlet that I made 

I haven’t graphed my data yet, but I’m planning on having a few graphs done by next week. This has been a really interesting project:
  •  Site C (no beach driving, less anthropogenic disturbances) has shown the most diversity in species
  • Many seabirds opportunistically feed on anthropogenic food, garbage, etc.
  • Adult disturbances seem to be the most common type 
I’m excited to graph the data!  

No comments:

Post a Comment